With the exterior restoration completed the interior restoration needs to be finished. Once these are completed, interior interpretative exhibits will be next phase. The Foundation has received donations of $3,505 earmarked for Bushy Park interpretation. This funding is expected to cover interior restoration, exhibit plan and exhibit fabrication and installation. However more may be needed as prices continue to rise.
The Williams-Dawe House is the latest historic property acquired by the County in April 2022 and is located directly across the street from the Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre. Built circa 1822, it will be the oldest residence in the community of Brentsville that will be preserved. Built by Jane Williams, it was the home many of Prince William County’s Clerks including Phillip Deveraux Dawe and John Williams II between 1822-1852, and served as a tavern and school throughout its history. This project will allow the Foundation to restore the building back to its period of historical significance as the next step after the emergency stabilization work is complete. The funding will supplement the existing County project for stabilization work for the Williams-Dawe House (also known locally as the White House) in Brentsville, VA. County Resolution 22-168 authorized the purchase of the Williams-Dawe House, as well as budgeted and appropriated $350,000 for the stabilization repairs and restoration design work.
This project aims to make Williams Ordinary into a cultural center and museum for public use. Also to construct a memorial to Prince William County residents that fought or lived during the American Revolutionary period regardless of gender, race, free, enslaved or economic status. The memorial will be part of a larger green space in downtown Dumfries, VA and be a focus for residents, students and tourists.